Monday, February 21, 2011

Set Your Phasers to Shut Up

Set Your Phasers to Shut Up - Ellipticator by Ryanimation

Here's a song that Tim and I recorded.

The story behind this song is as follows:

Back at the end of High School and the beginning of college, Tim was trying to make a rock opera-type project. I was going to contribute this song to the album. That never took off and this song was forgotten.

We were going through old stuff recently and found this. Since it was basically all written already we decided to go ahead and record it.

Most of this song is as it was when I wrote it 4-5 years ago. As a result, it doesn't have the same feel as a lot of my more recent stuff. It has power metal influences (mostly in the straight power chords/ double bass sections), and not so much the prog stuff of my current pieces.

The parts that are different from the original are 3 solos/leads. The leads at 1:31 were improvised, then learned, then re-recorded, re-improvised, etc. until I got something that worked. The first acoustic solo is all improvised. The second acoustic part at the end was improvised, then written out, fixed, and re-recorded.


The guitars are all me, bass lines written and played by Tim. We used samples of Bruce's drums to make our own drum track. The keys parts are from Reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment